Law No. 12-03 on the studies of impact on the environment EIE and its implementing decrees: http://minenv.gov.ma/instruments.html
In order to put in place instruments that facilitate the implementation of preventive measures for the protection of the environment and also the integration of environmental concerns into the process of economic and social development, Morocco has set up a legal arsenal regulations for the protection and enhancement of the environment including the law No. 12-03 regarding the Studies of impact on the environment which was enacted in 2003.
These studies are asserted in front of the National or Regional Committee of Environmental Impacts Studies who methodically assesses the direct, indirect, temporary and permanent potential impacts of these projects, including tourism projects.
- Evaluate the direct or indirect impacts that may affect the environment in the short, medium and long term due to the realization of economic and development projects;
- Identify measures to eliminate, mitigate or compensate negative impacts;
- Improve and enhance the positive impacts of the project on the environment.
The law No. 12-03 has established within the government authority responsible for the environment, a national committee and regional committees (In which figures the Ministry of Tourism) whose mission is to review the EIE and to give them a review of the environmental acceptability of projects.
According to Decree No. 2-04-563 regarding the powers and functions of the national committee and regional committees:
The national committee of the EIE is responsible for projects reviews on which:
- The investment threshold is more than 200 million DH;
- The execution affects more than one region of the kingdom regardless of the amount
- Cross-border projects regardless of the amount of investment;
As for the regional committees, they are responsible for Reviewing EIE projects which have a threshold less than or equal to 200 million dirhams with the exception of b) and c) projects mentioned above.