Tourism in Morocco is largely focused on two locations, Marrakech and Agadir, which equals more than half of international overnight stays. This geographic concentration does not highlight the full potential of the Moroccan territory.
In order to allow the sector to fulfill its role of economic development locomotive, Vision 2020 is part of an integrated, proactive approach to the national territory development.
It is in this context that are created eight territories with the necessary tourism consistency, attractiveness and critical mass (in terms of accommodation facilities, tourist assets and air services) in order to have international exposure and to access the destination’s full status, each destination being able to offer a unique experience as a complementary and a coherent entity with all others. This cutting across administrative barriers allows regions to take advantage of all the possibilities that have not been exploited so far.
Each territory is well equipped with an integrated development strategy of its own while remaining consistent with the strategy and the guidelines laid down nationally.
Two territories value the seaside offer of Morocco at the Atlantic and Mediterranean coastlines levels. This offer will be significantly strengthened over the decade with the completion of the Azur program’s projects and new development of products in the South:
- « Souss-Sahara Atlantique », Will gather the Agadir sites, including its hinterland (Tafraoute, Imouzzer Ida Outanane ...), Laayoune and Guelmim around the alliance of the desert, the Atlantic and the sunny climate all year round.
- « Maroc Méditerranée », with the 3 sites of Saidia, Marchica and Cala Iris, values the Mediterranean dimension of Morocco, combining recreation and sustainable development.
Four territories are positioned on a rich cultural offer, valuing specifically the tangible and intangible resources of Morocco, through the strengthening of established destinations and the development of two growth drivers:
- « Marrakech Atlantique », Centered around the sites of Marrakech, Toubkal and Essaouira, consolidating its offer to remain the front door of Morocco, sophisticated and authentic.
- « Maroc Centre » is the destination of the journey to the sources of culture and history and well-being, thanks to a strong complementarity between sites of Fez, Meknes and Ifrane.
- « Cap Nord » Centered on the sites of Tangier, Tetouan, Chefchaouen, Larache and Asilah, it’s a land of cultural meeting, an exclusive seaside balanced offer.
- « Centre Atlantique », Gathers consistently Casablanca, Rabat and El Jadida to form the side of business and leisure.
Finally, two other territories are essentials as Morocco's showcase for sustainable development by showcasing the most outstanding natural areas of the country:
- « Grand Sud Atlantique », Centered on the exceptional site of Dakhla and is based on an exclusive offer that combines unspoiled nature and sports niches.
- « Atlas et Vallées », Centered on Ouarzazate, valleys, oasis and the HighAtlas. Is positioned as the leading destination for ecotourism and sustainable development of the Mediterranean.